Sunday, September 21, 2008

PLAAF F-5 Fighter

I have built this Trumpeter 1/32 scale cold war jet for my father.

Wikipedia

The MiG-17 was license-built in both China and Poland. In the early 1950s, the PLAAF obtained a number of Soviet-built MiG-17 Fresco-A day fighters, designated "J-5" or, when passed on to other countries, "F-5". The Chinese obtained plans for the MiG-17F Fresco-C day fighter in 1955, along with two completed pattern aircraft, 15 knockdown kits, and parts for ten aircraft. The first Chinese-built MiG-17F, produced by the Shenyang factory, performed its initial flight on 19 July 1956 with test pilot Wu Keming at the controls. The MiG-17F was known as the "J-5" in Chinese service, or "F-5" when it was exported. One was actually trialed as a torpedo bomber, but not surprisingly the concept never made it into formal service.




The cockpit is quite detailed. I used my dremal tool to strip off black paint to better show the instruments.




This kit seperates the tail section so you can view the WP-5 turbojet.




This shot shows the kit after a coat of Tamiya silver acrylic with a wash of black water color rubbed back.

The following shots are of the completed model.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Correctly your article helped me terribly much in my college assignment. Hats off to you send, will look forward for more related articles in a jiffy as its united of my pick topic to read.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.

Patrick said...

From memory this info came almost word for work from a Wikipedia entry. I think if you look up this model in Wikipedia you should find all the info you need.